It is recommended that all applicants take time to read these guidelines in order to avoid submitting applications that are likely to be rejected. Also, please read our ‘Projects Supported’ page as this will give more of an idea of both the type of organisations supported and the amounts awarded. If you think your project falls within our criteria please contact the administrator at the email address below to seek advice. Trustees are keen to spare applicants the wasted time and costs involved in applying when there is no or little prospect of success.
Applications should clearly state who your target users are, what your projected outcomes are and how many people will benefit from the grant. If this is a continuation of existing work, what are your outcomes to date? If your request is for a one-off project, what will be its legacy?
Please also give details of:
- The organisation - explaining its charitable aims and objectives, and giving its most recent annual income and expenditure, and current financial position. Please do not send a full set of accounts.
- The project requiring funding – why it is needed, who will benefit and in what way.
- The project budget – breakdown of costs, any money raised so far, and how the balance will be raised.
- At this stage please do not send supporting books, brochures, DVDs, annual reports or accounts.
Trustees are interested in helping smaller organisations that offer direct services to communities in Sunderland and County Durham. Organisations which benefit disadvantaged young people are especially welcome to apply.
- Projects outside the City of Sunderland and County Durham geographical region
- Individuals in any capacity
- National and International Charities seeking partial funding for large projects
If your application passes the first round we may contact you for further information.
Mrs Emma Gray
Sir Tom Cowie Charitable Trust
Broadwood Hall Estate Office